Did you know that the average woman spends $144 on beauty each year?
Strategies for looking your best are important easy self care tips because it can boost your confidence and help you feel good. But beauty routines by themselves can have a dark side, as they’re often closely tied to feelings of jealousy and inadequacy. And in today’s stress-filled world, it’s more important than ever to maximize the positive results of your beauty routine, while filling your cup in other areas of life as well.
Today we’ll go over some essential easy self care tips that you should consider as we head into the summer months. Taking care of yourself shouldn’t be stressful, and it can be simple. Keep reading for some easy self care tips.
Optimize Your Workspace
Perhaps the best place to focus your easy self care tips is at work. Between demanding bosses and complex work relationships, the last thing you need is an aching back or trained eyes from working. Paying attention to your workplace ergonomics can help make a difficult job bearable.
Ergonomics has been defined as the science of matching the work to the worker. Having an ergonomic workspace means your physical position and activity won’t impede your productivity, and your job won’t negatively affect your health and wellness. The following are a few steps you can take to make your workspace more ergonomic:
- Position your computer monitor so it’s at least 20 inches away from your face, and so the top of the monitor is at your eye level when you look straight ahead.
- Ergonomic chairs can be the single most important thing to a healthy workspace. Make sure your feet can rest flat on the floor and your knees are level with your hips when seated.
- Make sure the weight of your arms is fully supported by either your chair or your desk at all times. Otherwise, your neck and shoulders will be working overtime, which can cause muscle strain and sap your energy.
- Avoid screen glare by keeping your monitor away from windows or bright backgrounds. Also, remember to look up and away from your screen regularly, and to consciously blink your eyes from time to time.
- Utilize the backrest on your chair to prevent muscle discomfort: make sure your ear is in line with your shoulder, your chin is in, and your spine maintains its natural “S” shape curve, as when standing straight. Be mindful of proper posture while working.
These easy self care tips can dramatically improve your life all by themselves. But let’s keep going by addressing some of the negative things you may be falling back on in your life.
Overcome Unhealthy Habits
Many people fall prey to unhealthy habits as a way to cope with the stress of everyday life. This can come in many different forms, whether it’s a relatively simple habit they can easily break or a major problem requiring an addiction treatment center to resolve. Usually, it’s an expression of a deeper issue, such as feeling unloved or simply overwhelmed with pressure.
The key to overcoming negative habits is being honest with yourself about what you struggle with, and how it’s affecting your health and happiness. You may feel like overeating or smoking makes you happy, but deep down you know it doesn’t make you feel better about yourself.
Once you’ve acknowledged the problem, you should ask yourself what you might become or accomplish if that habit wasn’t holding you back. Many people fall into bad habits as a result of feeling like they have nothing better to live for. So what could you be passionate enough about to overcome a negative habit? Perhaps there’s a novel you’d like to write, and using the snooze button or sleeping in on weekends keeps you from pursuing that dream. If you’re excited and driven to become a published writer, that could give you something to live for that makes sleeping late less of a temptation.
Finally, come up with a new, positive activity to replace the old habit with. If your bad habit is eating junk food, find ways to conveniently eat healthy, delicious foods instead. Some people use vape pens to break their smoking habit, although it’s questionable whether they’re truly any healthier than cigarettes.
Whatever the habits are you’d like to change, you can do it with a little honesty and a strategy. Next we’ll discuss easy self care tips for your overall health.
Work on Your Oral Health
Your oral health is more important than you might think. According to Mayo Clinic, the state of your oral health suggests clues to the condition of your overall health. Considering that your mouth is the entrance to both your digestive tract and respiratory system, that’s no big surprise.
The problem is that many people neglect their dental self care in one way or another. It’s all too common for adults to fail to brush their teeth twice each day or to forget regular dental services like teeth cleanings.
Because of the impact your oral health can have on the rest of your body, a good way to begin prioritizing your health is to start taking better care of your teeth and mouth. You should be brushing properly at least twice each day, or preferably after every meal, with a soft-bristled brush. At least once each day you should use dental floss, and you should consider using an alcohol-free mouthwash before bed. Avoid using tobacco or consuming sugary drinks like fruit juice or soda. And remember to schedule a regular dental checkup at least once each year.
There are lots of easy self care tips you could try for your health, but addressing your oral health is perhaps the simplest way to begin building healthy habits.
Rethink Your Skincare Strategy
If there’s one part of the body people neglect more than their teeth, it’s their skin. Creating a consistent skincare routine is important to have healthy, beautiful skin that keeps looking radiant well into your lifetime. Try the following easy self care tips for healthy skin:
- Wash your face to remove dirt, oils, and bacteria that accumulate there. This should be done first thing when you wake up and again before you go to bed, as well as anytime you sweat or work out. Use a natural facial cleanser without sulfates.
- Get extra sleep so your body has time to rejuvenate and repair your skin. While you’re at it, make sure you go to bed and get up at the same time every night to enjoy more restful sleep.
- Take steps to reduce cellulite. Cellulite reduction can be accomplished with light exercise, massage tools, products like retinol cream, and by eating raw foods and losing weight. Drinking more water and getting a professional massage can also help dramatically.
- Make sure your diet has lots of antioxidants in it, such as vitamin C. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals which come from fried foods, alcohol, and pesticides. Some foods that are high in antioxidants include green tea, olive leaf, pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, licorice root, dark chocolate, and pecans.
- Exfoliate your skin, particularly on your face. Look for exfoliating products that contain hydroxy acids, which are found naturally in fruit acids. These dissolve the skin’s natural “glue” which holds dead cells and new cells together, so old, dead skin cells can be gently removed. Exfoliation also helps keep skin hydrated.
- Speaking of hydrating your skin, make sure to use a moisturizer every day. You should use the correct kind of moisturizer on your face and neck, as well as on your hands, feet, and anywhere on your body where your skin has a tendency to dry out. Even if your skin is oily or acne-prone, you still need to moisturize it, although you should choose a kind of moisturizer that’s optimized for your skin type.
- Exercise regularly — besides helping reduce cellulite, it will increase blood flow which draws oxygen to your skin and deals with free radicals. As an added bonus, it also helps relieve stress and improve sleep.
- Drink lots of water to feed your skin from the inside. Proper moisturizers can only help so much if your body is dehydrated.
- Wear sunscreen whenever you spend time outside. The sun contributes more to skin aging than perhaps anything else, so make sure you’re protecting your skin from its rays whenever you go out. It’s also a good idea to wear protective clothing and limit your sun exposure overall.
These tips should help keep your skin feeling great and looking amazing. Next, we’ll discuss some additional ways you can enhance your appearance.
Consider Beauty Treatments
Most of this article has been about easy self care tips for health and wellness. But part of caring for your physical and mental health is feeling great about the way you look. And although your appearance should never become a source of stress or frustration, there are some great aesthetic treatments you might want to consider.
Certain non-invasive treatments for making skin look younger involve light therapy. While some anti-aging treatments damage the skin in the process of encouraging the body’s reparative response, more recent developments in light therapies can stimulate natural processes to rejuvenate the skin, without any thermal damage. Red light therapy, in particular, may stimulate collagen precursors and enzymes which are associated with cellular remodeling.
Next, wrinkle prevention injections are constantly evolving as cosmetic treatments. In fact, anti-wrinkle injections may be the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatments. Botox is one of the best, and best-known, treatments for getting rid of wrinkles. The treatment involves injecting small amounts of Botulinum toxin directly into the muscles, causing them to relax and expand. The result is smoother, younger-looking skin, which can last for as long as six months before the effects wear off.
Finally, teeth whitening is a popular treatment for people who want to enhance their facial appearance. There are lots of ways to have teeth whitening done, from elaborate cosmetic dental treatments to at-home kits you can purchase from the store and use yourself. When considering teeth whitening, it’s important to take into consideration the ingredients in the whitening agent and any side effects they might have. You might choose to have a dentist perform the treatment for you so that you can ensure it’s done properly and in a professional setting.
Think About Your Fashion Sense
An important part of self care involves the way you present yourself to the world, and this is primarily done through the clothing you wear. Most people fall into two camps when it comes to style: either they’ve always been interested in it and had some success figuring it out, or they’ve never paid attention to it before and feel completely lost when they think about clothes. If you haven’t had much experience, the first step is to simply observe how other people put outfits together. Studying pictures of complete, well-constructed outfits is more helpful than memorizing color combinations and style tips (although that can certainly be useful).
As you begin thinking about your own fashion sense, ask yourself what kind of message you want to put forth into the world. Are you a sloppy, no-nonsense type and like it that way? Laid-back hairstyles, simple but attractive T-shirts, and toned-down accessories might be your thing. Are you always all business, no matter where you are or who you’re with? In that case, you might go for stylish but simple skirts and blouses.
There’s a lot more to expressing your personal style than clothing. If you have a particular driving philosophy or purpose in life, have you considered getting a tattoo to express that? Many people use tattoos to immortalize what’s most important to them and their sense of self.
Finally, the jewelry and makeup you wear also says a lot about you. First of all, your makeup and accessories should match your skin tone. But after that, it’s all up to what makes you feel most like you. Whether you’re into expensive gold earrings or bold red lipstick, find what works with your body and spirit.
And there you have it: our most essential easy self care tips. Hopefully reading this article will be the beginning of a journey of self-discovery as you learn what you love, and learn to care for yourself.
10 steps to self care, 10 things to improve yourself, 10 ways to practice self care, 12 days of self care, 25 things i love about you ideas, 5 things to improve your life, a better self, a month of self care, activities for the mind body and soul, care of you, help me be better, how can i take care of my mental health, how do i start taking care of myself, how do you practice self care, how do you take care of yourself, how to care for mental health, how to care more about yourself, how to learn to take care of yourself, how to make life better for yourself, how to promote self care, how to self care anxiety.